Hire Jacksonville Lawyer for Florida Speeding Ticket

Jacksonville traffic ticket

What Do You Do When You Receive a Florida Speeding Ticket?

I received in a ticket in Florida, but I live in another state. I do not want to go to Florida to take care of my ticket. Can I hire an attorney to help me? Yes. You may hire a Florida ticket lawyer to represent you. In most cases, your attorney will be able to go to court for you and your presence will not be required. It is important to note that there are some cases in which you may need to personally appear in court for a Florida traffic ticket. I will review some of those circumstances at the end of this article.

Florida Speeding Tickets

Jacksonville traffic ticketWhen you receive a basic speeding ticket in Florida, you have a few options. Two of these options include paying the ticket or setting a court date. If you pay the ticket, it will put points on your Florida driving record. It may put points on your out of state driving record. How do I know if a Florida speeding ticket will put points on my out of state driving record? I cannot answer this question. You would need to ask a lawyer in your state or contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state to know how a Florida speeding ticket will affect your driving record in your state.

A lawyer with experience handling traffic tickets in Florida may be able to help you. If your state will put points on your driving record due to a conviction for a Florida speeding ticket, hiring an attorney that practices in the Florida county in which your received the ticket may be beneficial. Let’s say that you received a ticket for speeding in Orange Park. You may hire a Clay County Attorney to handle the ticket in Green Cove Springs for you.

Other Florida Traffic Tickets

In Florida, certain traffic tickets put points on your driving record. These are known as moving violations. The amount of points depends on the offense. Again, I cannot speak for out of state driving records. You would need to research whether or not a Florida traffic ticket will put points on your driving record in the state that has issued your drivers license. If it does, a Florida lawyer may be able to help you. For example, you were given a ticket for running a stop sign in St. Augustine FL. If a conviction for this violation will put points on your driving record, a St. Johns County lawyer may be able to help you with this.

Speeding 30 MPH Over the Limit

If you receive a Florida traffic ticket for traveling 30 miles or more over the speed limit, Florida law requires that you appear in court for this citation. The Florida statute that states this is Section 318.19.  This law states:

Any person cited for the infractions listed in this section shall not have the provisions of s. 318.14(2), (4), and (9) available to him or her but must appear before the designated official at the time and location of the scheduled hearing:

(1) Any infraction which results in a crash that causes the death of another;
(2) Any infraction which results in a crash that causes “serious bodily injury” of another as defined in s. 316.1933(1);
(3) Any infraction of s. 316.172(1)(b);
(4) Any infraction of s. 316.520(1) or (2); or
(5) Any infraction of s. 316.183(2), s. 316.187, or s. 316.189 of exceeding the speed limit by 30 m.p.h. or more.

Criminal Traffic Tickets

In some cases you will receive a traffic ticket that requires you to set a court date. This is likely due to a criminal traffic violation. For instance, if you are given a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident in Jacksonville, this is a misdemeanor. Your Jacksonville criminal lawyer will need to set a court date in Duval County. If you fail to set a court date and ignore the ticket, the clerk of court will issue a capias. This is similar to a warrant for your arrest. As a Jacksonville criminal attorney, I see this happen often with suspended license tickets. Imagine that you are cited for driving on a suspended or revoked license in Jacksonville FL. In some cases, a driving on a suspended license ticket is a civil traffic citation. You have the option to pay it or set a court date. In other cases, the ticket is a misdemeanor criminal violation. If you do not set the court date, the Duval County Clerk of Court will issue a capias for your arrest. If you live out of state and need to take care of a criminal traffic violation in Florida, you should speak with a Florida criminal lawyer. Depending on your situation, your attorney may be able to handle your case without you needing to personally appear in court. In other cases, you may need to make the trip. The best thing to do is to speak to a lawyer about this.

If you have received a traffic ticket in Clay, Nassau, St. Johns, or Duval County, call 20 Miles Law at (904) 564-2525 to speak to a lawyer in Jacksonville. If you prefer, you may send an email to Find a Lawyer.

Comments are closed.