How Habitual Traffic Offenders Reinstate FL Drivers Licenses

If you are a habitual traffic offender in Jacksonville FL, you are probably wondering how you can get your drivers license back. Will you be able to reinstate your drivers license or will it be suspended for five years? If you are a Florida habitual traffic offender, contact a Jacksonville drivers license lawyer for help. Call (904) 564-2525 to speak with a Jacksonville attorney with experience or send an email to Find a Lawyer.

FL Drivers License for Habitual Traffic Offenders

If you are a habitual traffic offender (HTO), your drivers license has been suspended for 5 years due to Florida Statute Section 322.264. This law lists the Jacksonville traffic tickets and criminal offenses that can be used against you for HTO purposes. Section 322.264 states:

A “habitual traffic offender” is any person whose record, as maintained by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, shows that such person has accumulated the specified number of convictions for offenses described in subsection (1) or subsection (2) within a 5-year period:

Florida Hardship License

Who has time for a suspended drivers license? Call 904-564-2525 for help.

(1) Three or more convictions of any one or more of the following offenses arising out of separate acts:
(a) Voluntary or involuntary manslaughter resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle;
(b) Any violation of s. 316.193, former s. 316.1931, or former s. 860.01;
(c) Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used;
(d) Driving a motor vehicle while his or her license is suspended or revoked;
(e) Failing to stop and render aid as required under the laws of this state in the event of a motor vehicle crash resulting in the death or personal injury of another; or
(f) Driving a commercial motor vehicle while his or her privilege is disqualified.
(2) Fifteen convictions for moving traffic offenses for which points may be assessed as set forth in s. 322.27, including those offenses in subsection (1).

If your license has been suspended as a habitual traffic offender or if it will be suspended, a Jacksonville drivers license attorney may help you obtain a valid drivers license which is not restricted like a hardship license.

Florida Hardship License 

An unrestricted drivers license is better than a hardship license, because you are able to travel for reasons other than business or employment. Additionally, a habitual traffic offender must go through a one year Florida drivers license suspension before applying for a hardship license. A Jacksonville drivers license lawyer may be able to help you obtain a valid license instead of a hardship license. Contact 20 Miles Law to speak with a Jacksonville lawyer about your suspended Florida drivers license.

Florida Statute Section 322.271 permits a habitual traffic offender to obtain a restricted license after a hearing. A restricted license is often referred to as a hardship license, because it limits when and where you can drive. Section 322.271 states:

(b) A person whose driving privilege has been revoked under s. 322.27(5) may, upon expiration of 12 months from the date of such revocation, petition the department for reinstatement of his or her driving privilege. Upon such petition and after investigation of the person’s qualification, fitness, and need to drive, the department shall hold a hearing pursuant to chapter 120 to determine whether the driving privilege shall be reinstated on a restricted basis solely for business or employment purposes.

(c) For the purposes of this section, the term:
1. “A driving privilege restricted to business purposes only” means a driving privilege that is limited to any driving necessary to maintain livelihood, including driving to and from work, necessary on-the-job driving, driving for educational purposes, and driving for church and for medical purposes.
2. “A driving privilege restricted to employment purposes only” means a driving privilege that is limited to driving to and from work and any necessary on-the-job driving required by an employer or occupation.

Comments are closed.