My Child Was Arrested for Possession of Marijuana in Jacksonville FL

If your child was arrested for a drug charge in Jacksonville FL, you are probably concerned.   It is not uncommon for teenagers to try marijuana when offered it by their peers.  With the legalization of marijuana in some states, children may believe that it is not a dangerous drug.  They may be more likely to try it.  Regardless of their feelings toward marijuana, it is important that they understand possession of cannabis in Jacksonville is illegal.  It is a crime for which they may be arrested.  Possession of cannabis may be either a felony or misdemeanor depending on the amount of marijuana involved.  The Florida law that governs possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana is Section 893.13(3).  This law states:

Florida Cannabis Attorney

Juvenile cannabis arrest?
Call (904) 564-2525

“Any person who delivers, without consideration, not more than 20 grams of cannabis, as defined in this chapter, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. For the purposes of this paragraph, ‘cannabis’ does not include the resin extracted from the plants of the genus Cannabis or any compound manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of such resin.”

If you child has been arrested as a Jacksonville juvenile delinquent, the case should be taken seriously.  Your child has a future.  You do not want to a drug charge to be on his or her Florida criminal background.  The first thing that children must understand is that possessing drugs is illegal.  No matter how “dumb” they make think the law is, it is illegal.  This includes possession of drug paraphernalia in Jacksonville.  The second thing is to address any issues with the drug use.  The third is to make sure that a mistake or bad decision does not hurt them in the future.  You want to take care of the juvenile criminal case properly.  You and your child should speak with a Jacksonville juvenile attorney about his or her options.

Your child may have been falsely accused.  The marijuana may have belonged to someone else.  Your son or daughter will need a Jacksonville criminal lawyer to fight for him or her.  Even if the marijuana did belong to your child, he or she may have had a lapse in judgment or made a choice based on peer pressure.  Nevertheless, he or she should have a Jacksonville criminal attorney that will take good care of the case.  Every case is different, so speaking to a Jacksonville lawyer with experience is a good idea.  Call (904) 564-2525 to talk to an attorney about your situation.

Comments are closed.